Images of America - Unionville
Originally known as the Union District or Langdon's Quarter, the village at the western end of Farmington was officially named Unionville by the U.S. Post Office in 1834. Settling along the banks of the Farmington River, Unionville's early residents were an industrious group, diverting water into canals to power numerous family-run mills and factories and producing a host of manufactured goods. Although smaller than the neighboring industrial cities of New Britain and Bristol, Unionville gained an extraordinary manufacturing prominence in the Farmington Valley. Through carefully preserved vintage photographs from the Unionville Museum's collections and from private sources, Unionville chronicles the village's resilient spirit throughout its many transformations.
Written by the late Cliff Alderman, a long time member of the Unionville Museum Board.